Saturday, April 27, 2013

Spring at last. Spring at last. Praise God almighty, it's spring at last.

Who knew? All this time I've been whining about the snow and our lack of a spring while comparing it to the weather we had on our trip to Texas. I finally finished blogging about our vacation and BAM! Eight hours later we had sun and temperatures in the 60s.

A week ago Friday we were snowed in. Yesterday on my lunch hour, I went jogging on the lakewalk. Wearing shorts. With about 800 other people who all seemed to have the same idea. As I maneuvered around people walking, jogging, biking, pushing strollers, walking dogs and even a skateboarder, I couldn't help but smile. Duluth has come out of hibernation.

Check out this beautiful picture. That is water, from melting snow, rolling in waves across our driveway yesterday. I smile at this almost as much as I do each time I hear our sump pump turn on. 


Jeff was out of town for a conference for work, which meant I had to (HAD to... it was a sacrifice!) leave work early Friday to beat the kids' bus home. Once they arrived, we quickly headed outside to soak up the sun.

For AJ, my singularly focused child, that meant playing hockey in the driveway.


Meanwhile, Sydney, the child with a million casual interests, decided the weather called for a picnic. (We settled for a bowl of fruit on a patio chair. The picnic table is still encased in snow in the backyard.)


And then she had to try out her bike. (She also asked if we could turn on the sprinkler. Um, no.)


While AJ continued to play hockey. 


Sydney next switched to soccer. (Which created some challenges because she wanted to shoot at the same net AJ was using. Though the far greater challenge was keeping the various balls away from Gus.)


And what was AJ doing by then? Oh yeah, still playing hockey.


And so, after putting the camera away, I grabbed my hockey stick and joined him. He won. No surprise there. The season may finally have changed, but his ability to outplay me is a constant.

No comments:

Post a Comment