Saturday, April 20, 2013

Into the hill country

The snow is still here. I have icicles hanging from my patio table. A columnist for our local newspaper - a man who loves and writes about ice fishing, snow shoeing, cross country skiing and just about every outdoor winter activity there is - wrote yesterday about how a recent trip to sunny Phoenix is making him question every decision he's ever made.

Sydney has added a new line to her bedtime prayer, "...and please let spring come so the snow goes away."

But I must stop dwelling on this. Not just because it's seriously depressing, but because I still have vacation photos to share. Photos of a place that's warmer, and green. Ahhhh... two words that make me smile.


Day five of our week in Texas, and it was finally time to leave San Antonio and head a bit northwest to Kingsland. Not only is this deep in the heart of Texas, as Sydney repeatedly sang, it's also deep in the heart of hill country. It's also the winter home of Grandpa Bill and Grandma Jo.


They took us to a state park, and so much time has passed I've now forgotten it's name. A bad guy used to hide out in a cave here. There were also some really cool buildings built during the WPA era. Sydney thought it was like a castle.



Next, we headed to their campsite, a beautiful spot on the river. Unfortunately, it was too windy for a boat ride, but the kids had fun running around and exploring.


Did I mention our rental car for the week was a Dodge Charger? We'd had the option of this or an Impala, which is what I normally drive, but when Jeff and AJ saw this one, there was no question what we'd be driving. Must be a guy-gene thing. 


While AJ was hamming it up, Sydney started to explore the small playground. She got to the top of the ladder and screamed. There was a tarantula! Or so she thought. Upon closer inspection, I discovered it was bird poop, and a very small amount, I should add, but that was enough to keep Sydney from sliding. 


Blue skies, leaves on trees and within walking distance to the river. Yes, I can see why Bill and Jo chose this as their winter home.


We next checked out Jo's "shop", an arts and crafts store she volunteers at. The kids were fascinated by the range of goodies for sale.


I should note that Jeff and I basically became non-existent to Sydney that day. She was with Grandpa and Grandma, and that's all she needed. As we drove around, she wanted to ride with them. At the restaurant, she wanted to sit with them. It was very sweet to see.

We next drove to see an Eagle's nest and the Llano River, but I've already posted enough photos today, so that will have to wait until tomorrow (unless there's another blizzard.)

No comments:

Post a Comment