Tuesday, April 28, 2009

As AJ sees it...

AJ had an eye doctor appointment Monday afternoon. It was his first check up in six months. I already knew that wearing a patch two hours a day hadn't fully strengthened AJ's left eye. I can see it still tends to cross when he isn't wearing his glasses, and at his preschool check up a few weeks ago, the nurse identified it as a problem. So I was curious to hear what the doctor had to say.

Well, he concluded that while AJ is "making progress," he needs to continue wearing the patch. We'll have another check up in six months.

AJ took the news surprisingly well, saying simply, "I'm glad I don't have to get contacts in my eyes."

That surprised me a bit, but the doctor just laughed and assured AJ he'd need to wait about 10 years before thinking about contacts.

Later, as we were leaving, AJ inadvertently explained what he'd meant. He said, "Remember a long time ago when Daddy had to hold me and they put contacts in my eyes? I'm glad they didn't put contacts in my eyes."

Aha! AJ had his words mixed up. It was the drops used to dilate his eyes that AJ was glad he hadn't needed.

So how do I break it to him that those drops will be used at his check up in six months?

No comments:

Post a Comment