Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The "Jesus-God" song

If AJ learns to play an instrument, which I hope he does (though not for this reason), I can easily see him playing for hours in a coffee house, making up lyrics and notes as he goes along.


It started Monday at bedtime while I was snuggling with Sydney on the couch. I could faintly hear AJ in his room. I called Jeff to go check if he was singing or crying. Jeff emerged laughing a few minutes later. AJ had, in fact, been singing. Here was the song's lyrics:

"Jesus loves me this I know. With a knick nack patty wack give your dog a bone..."

By the time Sydney fell asleep so that I could go in for a short snuggle with AJ, he'd further modifed the song, creating a rhyme:

"Jesus loves me on my own. This old man gives dogs a bone."

He then turned to me and in all sincerity asked, "Did you like that song? Was that a good one?"

I assured him it was. That was all the encouragement he needed. He's been singing variations of Jesus Loves Me ever since. He calls it the "Jesus-God song". My favorite version last night went something like this (though don't even bother trying to guess the tune):

"Jesus loves me. Jesus loves you. Jesus loves all the people. He even loves sheep."

The fact that he remembers Jesus being compared to a shepherd floored me.

1 comment:

  1. Larry and I are teaching Lily's Sunday School class this year (3-4 years olds). It's been really fun but we struggled at first with the issue of how much information to give them. If we give them too much info, they may miss the important stuff (Easter being a prime example). We know a lot of the parents so occasionally we'll ask them what the kids are retaining :-)

    ReplyDelete