Friday, July 31, 2009

Back seat driver

Do as I say, not as I do...

Why is it that the child who can't seem to hear my repeated requests for him to pick up his toys, has no problem listening to me when I'm saying something I shouldn't?

And then he's only too quick to point out the error of my ways.

While driving yesterday, I encountered an incredibly clueless driver. She was in the left lane of the freeway, I was in the right. I could see ahead a truck coming down the ramp trying to merge. I figured the easiest way to let the guy in, woul dbe to move over into the left lane. Wrong. This woman was in la-la land, and managed to perfectly adjust her speed to coincide with me. I sped up. She sped up. I slowed down. She slowed down.

A name came to mind and I uttered it frustration.

From the back seat came a reprimand. "Mom, you shouldn't call people a moron. That's not nice. You're acting like a toddler."

What could I say? "Yes, AJ, you are right."

Ironically, just as I'm typing this, AJ called from the other room, "Was I a good listener yesterday?"

"Yes, AJ" (a little too good.)

No comments:

Post a Comment