Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Say WHAT?

From morning 'til night, my kids came up with some of the darndest things today.

Sydney started it. She'd done a wonderful job sleeping through the night. And how did I show my thanks? By trying to wake her up before she was ready. Attempt number one involved rubbing her back. She ignored me. On my second try, she pulled her legs and arms into a tight fetal position. I finally opened the blinds, allowing bright sunlight to invade her cozy little cocoon of blankets, and then I shook her again.

Without so much as raising her head or opening her eyes, she protested, "Mommy, go 'way!"

I just can't wait until she's a teenager. She is definitely not a morning person.

Fast-forward to bedtime, and AJ gave me new reason to appreciate Aunt Sarah's tough job. We had popcorn for a bedtime treat, with the result being AJ got food stuck in his teeth for the very first time. He came to me, fingers in his mouth, and said, "Mom, I need some toothal floss."

And that's when I discovered that flossing someone else's teeth is much more difficult than flossing your own. Making things slightly easier was the fact that because AJ still has only baby teeth, it's just the molars that are close enough together for floss to be needed. Making things slightly tougher was the fact that it was AJ, so of course he couldn't stand still.

We finally loosened the offending piece of popcorn, so I told him he could finish the job by brushing his teeth.



And now a follow up to yesterday's blog. Because of Jeff's work schedule, I had to drive the kids to daycare this morning. On the way there, Sydney called from the back seat, "I want chay pie."

"Sorry, honey," I told her. "Mommy doesn't have that song in this car."

"Do you have 'We're not gonna take it'?" AJ asked.

"Nope. You're going to have to listen to what's on the radio."

"But we want wild music," AJ responded. "Wild, loud music."

So he already thinks I have lame musical tastes. I can't wait until he's a teenager.

As I tried to leave them at daycare, Sydney started to cry. Her teacher, hoping to make me feel better, noted that Sydney never cries when Jeff drops her off, and said, "It's always tough when you disrupt their routine."

Thinking of the non-wild music I'd just made them listen to, I nodded, "You don't know the half of it."

No comments:

Post a Comment