Sunday, July 12, 2009

Little squirts

Does it make up for countless middle of the night wake-up calls? Probably not. But having kids provides such a wonderfully legitimate excuse to once again play so many childish games.

Imagine how odd it would have looked for Jeff and me to chase each other around the yard with squirt guns. Throw a couple kids in the mix, however, and we suddenly look like really cool parents spending quality time with our offspring.

As I looked through the kitchen window Sunday afternoon, the scene was just too tempting. Jeff was standing innocently in the yard with the sprinkler, attempting to salvage our pitifully brown excuse for a lawn. Meanwhile, an empty squirt gun lay in the sink, and a fairly impressionable 4-year-old sat just a few feet away.

Needless to say, it was pretty easy to convince said 4-year-old to sneak up on Daddy. Let the games begin! With the boys going at it, I conveniently excused myself back to the safety of the kitchen

An equally tempting target presented itself a few minutes later. Sydney decided she wanted in on the fun. I filled up another squirt gun and headed into the garage to show her how to squeeze the trigger. Before I could do so, however, Jeff came backing into the garage, totally unaware I was there and armed. I simply could not pass up on this opportunity.

Suffice it to say that even with an adorable 2-year-old shield, my clothing was significantly dampened.

Sydney finally got her turn a little later. She's not much of a threat. Yet. But I suspect this was just the opening battle in what could be a very long war. At least, I hope that's the case.

1 comment:

  1. Train them in early to team up against Daddy! We had a great time at the playground on Sunday! The girls crashed when we got home - they each took very long naps.

    ReplyDelete