Saturday, July 25, 2009

A doll's life

As the meeting of blue-eyed, pudgy-cheeked babies comes to order, I can't help but notice one of these things is not like the others.


Believe it or not, Sydney has more in common with Mary Ann, the black doll propped next to her, than with the rest of her brood. For one thing, they're the only two on the couch made in North America. A quick check of Sydney's dolls reveals all can trace their origins to China. Mary Ann was manufactured in Mexico.

Mary Ann is, by far, the senior member of the group. This past Christmas marked 35 years since she came into my life. Thus, her other similarity with Sydney is I've referred to both as my baby. 'Course, I was just shy of 4 years old when I gave that label to Mary Ann. I have to say, she's aged well.

Normally, I'm not an overly sentimental person and don't get that excited about passing things along from generation to generation. Maybe it's just because I like new things. I didn't want to wear my Mom's wedding dress, and I won't expect Sydney to wear mine.

But I have to say I enjoy watching Sydney play with Mary Ann. Not because of the memories I have of playing with the doll, but because of a connection it gives Sydney that goes beyond me to people she will never know. Mary Ann was a gift from my Grandpa and Grandma LeVahn. Grandma Grace also gets credit for sewing the peach-colored nightgown on the doll. Clearly, it was well made.

I can't imagine my Grandma ever took the time to think about how long the doll or the dress would last. But I have to believe she's fully aware her great-granddaughter is now holding in her hands something she once lovingly held in her own. She's also probably aware that writing this has brought tears to my eyes. And to that she'd likely say, "Oh you silly kid."

I just might have to say that to Sydney the next time I see her playing with Mary Ann. Just because.

No comments:

Post a Comment