Friday, August 14, 2009

Race ya!

I wasn't brave enough to take AJ to the kids race in Esko last weekend. It's a full lap around the track, and last year he needed Jeff to run it with him. There's no way I could have done that with Sydney in tow.

So when a friend suggested that our play date group go to the Wednesday Night at the Races this week, I thought great idea!

Yeah. Let's just file this one under the category of "what were we thinking?"

Hundreds of kids. Just as many parents. It was a zoo. For most kids in AJ's group, (boys, age 4 and under) a parent ran right along with them. But with Sydney, that wasn't possible. Thankfully, our friend Paula and her son Cameron were running, too, so AJ lined up with them.

And then they were off. Did I mention the race is an eighth mile long? I thought it'd be a short dash similar to the Whipper Snapper Races, which is put on by the same organization. No. This race had the kids weaving through a park to a finish line way on the other side.

So as soon as the crush of runners passed, Sydney and I started a dash of our own, catching up to him shortly after he crossed the finish line. Apparently he did quite well. My friend Michelle figures he finished about sixth. Of course all the kids get a ribbon at this age.


Talking with my friends afterward, we've decided we are willing to try this again. We'll just know better than to call it a play date. Because when you have to keep an eye on kids with that many people around, there's just no chance for adult conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment