Saturday, August 15, 2009

Super what?

Every so often, AJ's imagination leaves even me asking, "huh?"

Such was the case when he appeared at the breakfast table in his Superman pajamas, with an army helmet on his head and a pillow case on each arm.

He was being Batman, of course. That's what he told me. I understand the wings. And he probably didn't remember what pajamas he had on. (The pants of which were inside out, so the reverse view, complete with tag hanging out, is even more charming.) But I still don't get what the helmet has to do with anything. Oh well... he was happy.

A little later, after switching into knight mode, he requested an orange for breakfast. I thought that a little odd, but am always happy to oblige when he asks for something other than sugar cereal.

Interestingly, he asked me to not break all the pieces apart. And that's when I figured out what he was planning. Yes, he wanted to use his sword to cut the orange.


The countdown to Halloween has begun. With less than three months to go, AJ's costume wishlist is growing longer by the day. And some days by the minute.

During a car ride yesterday, AJ announced he wants to be "a flying dinosaur. A robot one. A green flying robot dinosaur."

Thankfully, before I had a chance to fully think about how a needle and thread-challenged person such as myself could possibly create a costume like that, he changed his mind again.

"Or a knight. I think I want to be a knight."

An hour later, as we were touring the toy section at Target, AJ transformed his mind again after spotting an Optimus Prime costume. And it was only $9.99. Bonus! I'm not kidding myself into thinking there's any chance the Transformer costume will still be in trick-or-treat condition come Halloween night. But for a little boy who's missing his Daddy very much, I think $9.99 is a small price to pay for a fun distraction.

No comments:

Post a Comment