Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Why mommy doesn't like "coater" bears...

If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. When you think you've found a bargain, don't just look at the sticker price, consider also the toll it might take on your sanity.

Both of my kids loved the book, Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See, so when I saw a brand new copy of its sequel at a garage sale last week for a buck, I had to grab it. What was I thinking?

I've lost track of how many times I've read Polar Bear Polar Bear What Do You Hear in the last five days. I know it was three times yesterday. Sydney is obsessed. I think there should be a rule requiring proper pronunciation for anything you love that dearly. She asks for "Coater bear" first thing in the morning, and as her bedtime story at night. Yesterday, she repeatedly announced she had to go potty, so I finally asked, "Do you really need to go to the bathroom, or do you just want mommy to go in there with you to read Polar Bear?

At least she was honest in her answer.

She's also turned the book into a sort of song. The melody is the same as Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star. "Coater bear, Coater bear, what do you hear? I hear a lion roaring in my ear." And on and on it goes. She now can say "boa constictor" because that's one of the creatures in the book. Though mommy tends to shorten it to "green snake."

I liken the author and illustrator, Bill Martin Jr and Eric Carle, to the creators of Barney. Clearly they understand what clicks with children, but they show no compassion for the parents of their obsessed fans.

Polar Bear, Polar Bear what do you hear?
I hear a Mommy trying to hide a book. That's what I hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment