Sunday, March 28, 2010

A bicycle built for four

They look so relaxing and fun... when other groups are pedaling them. We couldn't resist renting a surrey for an evening ride around the man-made lake next to our resort at Disney.

It wouldn't have been bad, if we didn't have to steer around the crowds, or try to keep two kids busy. AJ did well. We gave him the all important job of ringing the bell to alert pedestrians that we were about to run them down.

"Bell!" was all the encouragement he needed. And often he didn't even need that. He just liked ringing the bell.

Sydney also wanted something to do. Unfortunately, the only other jobs are steering, peddaling and braking, none of which she could do. She wasn't content to simply to sit next to AJ in the front seat. Nor did she want to sit between Jeff and I in the back. She wanted to help. So after a bit of seat shifting, we finally figured out the best solution. Not a perfect solution, but the best we could come up with:


With Sydney sitting on my leg, she could reach the steering wheel and spin it to her heart's content. It's a dummy steering wheel. Only the one on Jeff's side actually works. So that meant Jeff was in charge of steering and braking. He and I together provided the pedal power. What made it challenging is that with Sydney sitting on my leg, I had to lift an extra 33 pounds every other pedal. Jeff tried to reason that also meant I had the benefit of an extra 33 pounds of force with each rotation. Yeah, whatever. All I know is it gave my thighs a much harder workout than the 30-minute jog I'd done earlier in the evening.

At least it made me feel slightly less guilty as I made the most of an all-you-can-eat crab boil/seafood buffet as we ate dinner right after the ride was done.

No comments:

Post a Comment