Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Cold reality

Is there anything more harsh, more abrupt than to end a vacation with a flight home? It makes the transition between paradise and reality so impossibly short.

Forty-eight hours ago, we were collecting sea shells and dodging salty waves on the beach of Marco Island.


Twenty-four hours ago we were watching Shamu splash the people silly enough to sit in the front rows of the main arena at Sea World in Orlando.



And now we are back home. Snow is still in our front yard. Chunks of ice are floating down the very swollen river behind our house. It's time to get ready to resume our normal life.

Jeff and Sydney have decided the best way to prepare is to take a nap. We had to leave the hotel by 4 a.m. to return our rental car and catch our flight home.

AJ chose to go to pre-school rather than take a nap. He's crushed that we couldn't find his "shark's tooth" (really an oddly shaped rock) to show his class. He had it on the plane, but I haven't seen it since. Hopefully when Daddy awakes, he'll know of its fate.

This leaves me with a 2-hour block of time until I have to pick up AJ. My choices are to nap, clean, unpack, start making phone calls for a free-lance project that arrived in my inbox while we were away, or go jogging. I am choosing to go for a run. It's certainly not what I want to do most. However, after briefly reviewing the beach photos and how my thighs appear in those photos, I've decided it's what I need to do most.

Reality is not my friend today.

1 comment:

  1. If it makes you feel any better, today was not a particularly nice day down in SW Florida. Most of the day it was 68 degrees and mostly cloudy with a cold NW wind. Granted it was probably warmer than up there, but it certainly isn't March weather for FL.
    Yes, you truly had beautiful weather while you were in southern Florida, which is something many visitors cannot say this winter.

    ReplyDelete