Thursday, March 4, 2010

Hockey's over

Can you believe this is the same kid who – three months ago – couldn't skate more than a few feet without falling down?

AJ played his last game on Sunday, which means the crazy schedule that has ruled our lives for the last three months is now behind us. Here's the truly crazy part, I actually am kind of missing it. (With the exception of concession stand duty, which I still have to call and confirm is canceled for this Saturday.)

AJ had so much fun and really enjoyed his coaches and teammates. Even Jeff and I, despite the rocky start to the season, formed new friendships. All those chilly practices and games really become a bonding experience with the other families.

In his final tournament, AJ managed to score a goal. It can best be described as a slow motion experience – not because we were wondering if anyone would get to the puck in time to block it, but because the shot was soooooo slooooowwwww we wondered if it would even reach the net. It did. We all cheered. And that's when AJ realized he'd scored and raised his stick high in the air. And then fell down.

AJ continued to show his greater strength is on defense. I just can't figure out why he's so non-aggressive when it comes to going after the puck when he has a chance to score, and yet he'll chase down the other team and prevent them from scoring.


AJ blocked shot after shot, thankfully most often with his stick. He seems to be phasing out the kamikaze wipe-out move.

We don't have to turn in his rented skates until August, so hopefully we'll be able to take advantage of some of the open skate opportunities at area rinks over the spring and early summer.

As for me getting a pair of skates of my own, that's now taken a back seat to getting a new pair of running shoes. I just found out I made it into the half-marathon in June. I guess it's a good thing hockey's over. I'll need that extra time to train.

No comments:

Post a Comment