Monday, March 29, 2010

A penny for your thoughts

Lessons about money can be so painful. Especially when you're only two.


The Dolphin Resort features a large fountain in the lobby. Every time we walked by it, AJ asked if we had some money he could throw into it, so he could make a wish. Our second or third night there, I happened to have two pennies with me, so I gave one to each child. AJ quickly tossed his into the fountain. His copycat sister then did the same.

It was when we turned to leave that the tears started. Sydney apparently didn't realize that once she threw her coin, it was gone for good. She stood at the fountain and sobbed and sobbed, even stomping her foot at one point.

As I dragged her to catch up to Jeff and AJ, who were holding the elevator for us, Jeff looked confused as to why Sydney was crying. I joked, "Sydney apparently wishes she had her penny back."
For whatever reason, this struck AJ as one of the funniest things he ever heard. For the rest of the vacation, and even now, more than two weeks later, he starts laughing out of the blue and then says, "Remember how Sydney wished she had her penny back?"
Even Sydney now giggles about it, most likely because she knows it makes her brother laugh, "Member? I wish my penny back."

No comments:

Post a Comment