Friday, May 28, 2010

AJ and the beanstalk

So that's what he was thinking.

At dinner last night, AJ seemed unusually excited to have green beans on the menu. He proceeded to open up each bean, pluck out the seeds and line them up in a long row.

I wasn't sure why he was doing this, but as long as he was eating his vegetables without arguing, it was all okay with me.

About an hour later, I was outside watering flowers. AJ suddenly went running into the house, only to return a moment later. He was carrying one of the bean seeds.


He then stuck it into the dirt of my flower pot.

Let's be honest here. My thumb isn't exactly green. Anything I plant has little enough chance for success, and I'm thinking a bean seed that's been nuked for four minutes inside a microwave oven has - to be blunt - zero chance of sprouting.

If I wanted to be kind, I would buy a pack of bean seeds and sneak a few into the soil. But I really don't have the time to nurture a small seedling. Instead, I think I can take an easier route. In the two days since I transplanted flowers into the wheelbarrow pot, AJ's already tipped it over once, effectively killing the contents. I think it's safe to assume he'll do it again, which means I can blame the lack of bean growth on his own carelessness.

No comments:

Post a Comment