Monday, May 17, 2010

The salesman

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

I suspect that was part of AJ's motivation in helping us get ready for our upcoming garage sale. A small part. A fascination with money (greed?) probably was a bigger part.

From the moment we got home from church on Sunday, AJ wanted to go fishing. (Note the life jacket he put on all by himself.) Jeff, who needed to clean out the garage so I'd have space to set up for the sale, told AJ he'd had to wait a little bit.

Well, that little bit took a couple hours. AJ alternated between playing inside and outside, and finally came over to see what I was doing as I labeled and priced the endless piles of baby clothes. That's when he decided to "help."

Reaching into a bin of toys that still needed to be sorted, he pulled out a plastic golf club. "5.00 AJ" is what he wrote.

"That might be a little much," I told him.

He wasn't listening. He was too busy searching for others toys to sell. He next came out with a plastic fighter plane. "One dollar," he told me. I think that's about a quarter more than what we paid for it at a garage sale last year.

"That still might be a little much," I advised.

"How about 100 cents instead?" he suggested.

Please tell me that's just one of the many cute things he's prone, and not an indication of the slick salesman he's going to be some day.

He next tried to sell one of my stuffed animals. Uh, no. After that, he priced a pen at a dime. Good luck with that.

As I continue to dig down through bin after bin of baby and toddler clothes, it amazes me how much he's grown. I made him hold up the outfit below. It was always one of my favorites.


Jeff and AJ did finally go fishing. It was a short trip. Nothing was biting. Not even the bulleye (walleye, I finally confirmed) that had scratched their worm the day before.

No comments:

Post a Comment