Thursday, May 6, 2010

Dinner IS the show

Who needs to go out for entertainment when you have these two?


Wait, don't let me answer that.
But assuming I didn't desperately want an evening out with just my husband, let's continue the story...
Wednesday, in honor of Cinco de Mayo, I suggested we have tacos for supper. The response was less than enthusiastic. Apparently I am the only one in my house who likes tacos. So when I was reminded that Sammy's Pizza had a special deal going on this week, I offered that idea as an alternative. Ole'!
I called ahead and ordered, Jeff and the kids picked it up and so, by the time I got home from work, supper was waiting on the table.
Sydney was dancing around with excitement, "We got Sammy's Pizza! We got Sammy's Pizza!"
AJ interrupted long enough to tell me how many days he has left at pre-school.
It was about this time I noticed Sydney was wearing a different pair of pants than I'd dressed her in that morning. It's a tell-tale sign that she once again is not ready to wear "big girl underwear" to school. (While I'm thrilled that daycare is trying to encourage her potty training in this way - it was her teacher's suggestion to send her in underwear - I'm wondering why I'm the one stuck each evening washing the wet pants of a stubborn little girl who clearly is not figuring out to tell them ahead of time when she needs to go.
I asked Sydney, "Did you have another accident today?"
She paused for a moment, clearly not wanting to address the topic, and so did her best to quickly change it, excitedly announcing, "We got Sammy's Pizza!"
With everyone finally sitting down, Sydney jumped to the next step in the routine, "God is great and..." she started praying.
"Why does she get to pick?" AJ interrupted. "She got two turns."
"It is AJ's turn to pick," Jeff quietly confirmed.
"Fine," I sighed. "AJ, what prayer would you like to say?"
He thought for a moment, considering his options before announcing: "God is great."
Part of me wants to bang my head on the table. Luckily, my head reminds me that as long as they act like this, I will never run out of blog material.

No comments:

Post a Comment