Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The costume party

It's not every day you walk into a bowling alley and see masked superheroes channeling their strength into rolling a ball to destroy the forces of evil, otherwise known as bowling pins.

Or maybe it's not such a rare sight. I have to admit I don't visit bowling alleys very often anymore.

In this case, AJ was invited to a birthday party for a school friend, Parker. Parker's mom apparently is very brave, or just plain insane. (Or maybe she started out brave and ended up in the loony bin by the end of the afternoon.) For the party, which was held at a local bowling alley, all the kids were invited to come dressed as their favorite superhero. I counted one other Wolverine besides AJ, a couple Batmen, a Hulk and a few others that I didn't exactly recognize. All told, there were 10-15 superheroes attempting to save the world while wearing borrowed bowling shoes.

Jeff was busy at a baseball tournament, so I had to bring Sydney with to drop off AJ. Of course since her brother was wearing a costume, she couldn't possibly leave the house without wearing one too. We got a few odd looks at the grocery store, which is where we ran to after Parker's mom assured me she had enough friends lined up to help with all the kids.

Melodramatic princess that she is, Sydney whimpered as we shopped, alternating between her personas. "I miss AJ," she whined. "Sweeping Beauty misses her wowverine!"

We returned to the bowling alley a short time later, only to discover that the battle of good versus evil had not gone off without a hitch. A very sorry-looking wolverine pointed to the lane he'd been bowling on and confessed, "Number 10 doesn't work anymore. I got a little excited and threw the ball too soon and broke the thing that knocks over the pin."

"Uh oh," I responded.

"But they called a lady and she said she could fix it in five minutes," he quickly assured me.

I'm sure it's not the first, or the last time, the pin setter has been knocked by a bowling ball. And seeing what a very, very lo-o-o-o-o-ng time it took for the ball to roll down the lane when AJ threw it, I'm thinking the impact was slight at best. (Parker's mom also assured me that everything was fine.)

No comments:

Post a Comment