Friday, January 21, 2011

The bedtime prayer

Snuggled together. Fast asleep. Don't they just look so sweet and precious?

Sure they are. Now that they're finally asleep. In my bed.

This past Tuesday night, AJ woke up some time between 2-3 a.m., followed by Sydney around 4 a.m. Jeff was working, so I'd let each of them join me in my bed. By the time Jeff made it home - I think a little after 5 a.m. - there was no room left for him.
And this all happened after a tougher than usual bedtime routine.

Because of this week's frigid weather, AJ's class must have had a discussion about dressing appropriately and being careful in the cold. I'm guessing the conversation focused on frostbite, but of course kindergarten minds jumped to the worst-case scenario of freezing to death.

Ever the overly cautious one, AJ was pretty shook up by this never-before-thought-of threat to his health and well being. I did my best to reassure him that he would be fine - that we always made sure he was dressed warmly enough, and that Mom and Dad, his bus driver, his teacher and all the 0ther grown-ups at his school would make sure he didn't spend too much time outside when the temperatures were so cold.

Nothing worked. AJ was seriously worried. Finally I suggested we pray together. He happily agreed, repeating after me:

"Dear Jesus,
Please keep me safe from the cold.
And protect all the people I love, too."

At this point, I suggested he finish the prayer with anything else he wanted to say. And so he continued:

"And please make all the people who are dead, come back alive.
And let them have skin.
Amen"

At some point I'll need to remind him that not all prayers get answered in the way we want. But that can be a conversation for a different, warmer day.

Incidentally, as I get ready to head for bed right now, the temperature outside my door is -17 degrees. I'm predicting AJ's school, which for some reason is only in session for a half-day on Friday, is going to end up cancelling classes all together.

***Friday morning update***
School was not cancelled, despite the -27 degree weather. As I bundled AJ up to head out the door, I told him to keep his hat on and hood up. Jeff also weighed in with advice: "Don't touch anything metal. Don't lick anything metal."

1 comment:

  1. Dont lick metal haha dont tell him that it will leave him curious.. lol just kidding :D

    ReplyDelete