Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Sydney time

Behold the magic of a bright orange tent. When you're three and a half, (and quite possibly when you're older than that) any game or activity instantly becomes more fun when played inside a secret fort.

Monday night I could hear bursts of giggles coming from the tent. I looked over just in time to see a piece of popcorn come flying out from behind one of the flaps, only to be quickly gobbled up by a very attentive golden retriever. Whatever the game was, Maggie loved it.

As I grabbed my camera and tried to focus on the ever shaking and shifing tent, the game changed. Suddenly the rules apparently were to peak out at Mom for as long as possible without ever letting her actually get a decent photo.

It took about a dozen tries, but eventually I timed it right.

Sydney's been full of charm the last few days... and nights. For some reason she's woken up each of the last two nights. Once awake, she just wants to snuggle. And engage in girl talk.

Sunday night was the worst. Awake at 2:45, she didn't fall back asleep until almost 6:15. I tried laying down with her in her bed. Eventually, to show I was ignoring her, I rolled over on my side so that my back was to her. She tapped me on the shoulder in protest and said, "but Mommy, I want your other side."

By 4:30 a.m., I brought her into our bed so that I could be there when the alarm went off. She laid there quietly but didn't fall asleep. Once it was time for me to get up, I left her there with Jeff. About the time I was stepping out of the shower, Jeff came in to use the bathroom. It was right then I heard a terrified cry from our darkened room. I rushed to the bed to calm down Sydney and asked her what was wrong.

She wailed, "Nobody was here to find me."

If she keeps this up, maybe I'll let her sleep in the orange tent. Perhaps it's magical powers will keep her asleep all through the night.

1 comment:

  1. Awake for several hours?? Grandma Elouise (or should I say, Mom Elouise) loves it. When Mommy Dana was a little girl, and she woke up at night, for whatever reason, it was 3 (THREE) hours until she went back to sleep. We even put a phone in the basement so we could turn off the ringer in the upstairs phone - phones always woke up our precious little merry sunshine Dana. We had a davenport in her room so Mommy could lay down there for three hours. Mommy Dana was always happy to just play in her bed as long as she could SEE her mommy. But of course, Mommy Elouise couldn't sleep soundly, because there had to be some talk so Dana knew she wasn't alone. Yup, what goes around, comes around.

    ReplyDelete