Friday, January 28, 2011

President's (birth)Day

How is it that my son doesn't like normal characters and themes like other boys his age? I celebrate his uniqueness. I really do. But once a year - specifically around the time I'm planning his birthday party - I kinda wish he'd like Cars or Star Wars or Transformers. There are plenty of party supplies out there for those themes.

Alas, the same independent thinker who wanted a Peter Pan party the year the boy who would never grow up was locked safely in the Disney vault, and the same child whose Scooby Doo fascination had me shopping on e-bay last year, has outdone himself. For birthday #6, he wants a Presidents' theme.

I was fairly certain I wouldn't find much at the party supply store - maybe a few red, white and blue leftovers from the 4th of July, or perhaps some pretend money that would have pictures of presidents on it. I held out hope that perhaps the coming President's Day holiday might help my cause. But no. Nobody seems to celebrate President's Day anymore. At least not like my son wants to do.

The one thing we found was a glittery Uncle Sam hat. I'm pretty sure half of that glitter is now in the back seat of my car. But AJ loves it.


What's with the brown curly hair, you might ask? That's so he looks more like Abraham Lincoln. Without the beard, of course. (That wig actually came with a moustache, not a beard. It's a leftover from a Halloween party when Jeff dressed as Magnum P.I.)

On a positive note, AJ's creativity helped me figure out what to do for party invitations. Here's a look at the cover:


The inside reads "for Birthday Boy" and invites kids to come to his political birthday party and let their voices be heard. I was able to order a whole bunch of red, white and blue party supplies online. I figure between Memorial Day, Flag Day and the 4th of July, we'll have plenty of opportunity for re-use. 

Eight days until the big day. This campaign has me exhausted!

No comments:

Post a Comment