Monday, January 3, 2011

Ice princess

Am I really surprised?

My stubborn young offspring (the female version) has set her mind to something and seems determined to prove me wrong.

One day after suggesting that hockey isn't going to be her sport, Sydney has talked of little else. And so tonight while AJ skated at hockey practice, Sydney got in some practice time of her own.


With a balance bar to help her stay upright, there was no stopping her. Back and forth we went around the "little rink". She impressed me not only by how naturally she started pushing off with her skates, but also by her positive attitude. The few times she fell, she'd grin and say, "That's okay. I can do it." And then she'd pull herself up and start off again.

I was also happy with her willingness to keep going, with no whining about how cold it was outside. The temperature was in the single digits.

"I'm doing it Mom," she'd tell me again and again.

I'm holding strong on the "no pink skates" policy. She can continue wearing AJ's hand-me-downs. But if she keeps this up, she just may earn herself a pink helmet.

No comments:

Post a Comment