Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Happy Dad-day

It's Jeff's birthday (yesterday). AJ was quite disappointed that didn't translate into a day off from school. "It's a holiday," he reasoned.


So we did the next best thing to commemorate this very important day. We celebrated with dinner at a restaurant The decision-making process on where to eat went something like this.

Jeff: We should try Texas Roadhouse. We still haven't been there.

Me: That sounds good.

Sydney: Does it have a playground?

AJ: No, Sydney, they don't have a playground 'cause it's where people go on dates.

Ultimately, Jeff ended up changing his mind. After having leftover steak for lunch, he decided seafood would be better for dinner, and so we headed to Red Lobster instead.

My little crab leg lovers were quite excited by this turn of events. AJ informed our server, "I'll probably be back in 13 days, because that's when it's my birthday."

The server laughed, and AJ continued, "I might pick McDonald's, but I think I like this better.

"I like this better, too," the server told him.

For dessert, we split something with lava in the name. It was basically a chocolate chip cookie filled with melted chocolate and topped with ice cream.  Battling with their forks was half the fun.


I felt a bit sorry for the young couple sitting across the aisle from us. My kids were rather hyper last night. As were the kids at two other tables near us. I figured the hostess had purposely seated all of the families in one area so as not to disturb the rest of the diners. I appreciate that – it makes me less self-conscious when the kids get loud. But it made no sense for that one young couple to be seated smack in the middle of the chaos. I question if the hostess had determined they needed a lesson on the importance of birth control.

Once home, we let Daddy open his presents. AJ had picked out a musical card that played the theme from Rocky. I wish I'd had a camera to record AJ's face as he tried to sign the card without giving away the surprise. Every time he opened the card to sign it, of course it would start playing music. I finally assured AJ that Daddy was in another part of the house, and so if he wrote quickly, the secret would remain safe.

It was a fun evening. Jeff liked his presents (new hockey gear.) And most important of all, from AJ's perspective, we've moved one day closer to his birthday.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed reading about your families birthday day. It was written with so much love. I made me sigh with contentment at the end of the reading. I hope your next family birthday is just as good. I love crab too!

    ReplyDelete