Friday, January 14, 2011

What are you packing?

Just about every female I know who's ever traveled with a male, has had something less than positive to say about the man's (in)ability to pack. Most complaints center around the man's lack of planning or lack of thinking about what kinds of things they'll need during their trip.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised to learn this fundamental difference between males and females doesn't suddenly rear its ugly head at the onset of adulthood. No. This difference is already apparent in early childhood. At least with my two kids it is, as I compare how my five-year-old boy versus my three-year-old girl readied for our trip last weekend to Silver Bay.

"AJ," I called out as I was packing clothes, "pick out which toys you want to bring with you."

A few minutes later, as I continued packing, I found he hadn't moved from his spot on the couch. I decided to cut him some slack considering he'd just been sick the day before. "AJ," I said, as if it was for the first time, "go find whatever toys you want to play with in the car."

AJ didn't move. "It's not that long of a drive."

"It's an hour-and-a-half drive. You're going to get bored," I predicted. "Go pick out some toys."

Sydney, by this time, was dancing around, getting in my way. "I want to help pack," she enthusiastically announced.

"You do?" I asked in surprise. "That's awesome. Go pick the toys you want to bring."

She clasped her hands in excitement. The wheels were already turning inside her head. Suddenly she threw her arms open wide and announced, "I'm going to get my purse!"

Once she selected and located the perfect container, it took her no time at all to fill it with plastic princess figurines and other small toys. Next she asked if she could put some fruit treats in her purse to eat in the car. This girl can plan.

And where was AJ all this time? He'd managed to move off the couch and was now leaning on the half-wall divider between the living room and dining room. "AJ," I said in exasperation, "Go pick out some toys or you're not going to have anything to do in the car."

"I did!" he responded with equal frustration.

That caught me off guard. I hadn't seen him grab anything. "What did you pack?" I asked.

Mr. Know-it-all flashed me his billfold. "I packed my wallet. So I can buy some candy at the hockey game."

"And how is that going to give you something to do on the car ride up there?"

"I can play with my wallet," he defended.

Right.

With that, my enabling nature kicked in. I grabbed a box of Playmobil soldiers and added a few more of his favorite characters. He happily played with them in the car both on the ride up, and on the return home, plus was excited to show them to his friends at the hotel. Not once did he remember to bring his billfold to the arena.

Next time I'm going to let him learn the hardway. Will he sit in the car in boredom? Or try to convince his sister to share her princess dolls? I sense future blog material.

No comments:

Post a Comment