Sunday, January 2, 2011

Ice, ice, baby

Perhaps hockey isn't going to be Sydney's sport.

When I heard there was free skating this afternoon at the new Amsoil Arena, I thought what a great chance for AJ to skate where the Bulldog hockey team now calls home. And when I discovered AJ's old skates fit Sydney, I knew this was an opportunity we couldn't pass up.

Sydney was plenty excited when I told them the plan this morning. (Nothing like a little implied bribery to inspire good behavior at church.) Her enthusiasm waned slightly when she spotted AJ's used hockey skates on the kitchen table. "Mo-om," she protested, "but I wanted pink skates."

She also was quick to question why she didn't get to wear elbow pads and a helmet like her brother. It's all about the gear, I guess. I placated her with one of AJ's old hockey jerseys, and at last we were ready to go.

She did a pretty good job walking on the skates from the locker room to the rink. And she even giggled a bit for the first few seconds we were on the ice. And then we went down. She landed on her knees. I landed on my rear. Less than four feet from the entrance.

Whose idea was it to attempt her skating debut on a very public, Division 1 hockey rink?

We got up and slowly made our way down the ice. I held on to Sydney under her arm pits, pushing her along. To her credit, Sydney quickly figured out that it worked better to lean forward, but there was a lot of wobbling and flailing of legs.

By this point, AJ was literally skating circles around us, encouraging Sydney to take his hand. I suggested we stop for the obligatory photo opp.

And down she went again.

And again.

At last she gained her balance, but by this point she'd had enough.

It didn't help that AJ spotted Champ the Bulldog skating around the rink. Of course he wanted his picture taken with him. I had to set Sydney in the entryway to the announcer's box, so that I could snap a photo of AJ.
Poor Sydney sat cowering in fear. Santa Claus may have risen to "Good Guy" level in her opinion, but apparently big furry mascots remain on the scary list.
Sydney and I completed two full laps of the rink before she declared she needed to rest. Thank goodness we happened to run into an old army wife friend who kept an eye on Sydney so that I could skate a bit more with AJ.
I continue to be amazed at AJ's progress on skates. He raced around like he owned the place. I could still beat him in a race, but his confidence level knows no end. So perhaps there's still hope for Sydney. It was just two winters ago that AJ was at her level, and look at his comfort level now.

By evening, Sydney was again expressing interest in skating. This could be a good thing. There's a small rink next to the warming house at the Esko hockey complex. While AJ's at hockey practice, Mommy and Sydney could lace up and do some practicing of our own.

No comments:

Post a Comment