Saturday, February 5, 2011

Lucky #6

Six has always been my favorite number. Let's hope it proves to be a lucky number for my favorite birthday boy.

The big day is here... made even more exciting by the news that he's now six. Today! Somehow his understanding of the significance of birthdays got a little mixed up. Here's how the conversation went this morning.

Me: Happy Birthday AJ.

AJ: (giving me a hug) Thanks Mom.

Me: How does it feel to be six?

AJ: No, Mom, I don't turn six until tomorrow.

Me: No, today's finally Saturday. Your birthday is here.

AJ: I know. Today's my birthday and tomorrow I turn six.

Me: No. You turn six today on your birthday.

A look of wonderment spread across AJ's face as he again wrapped his arms around my waist. "I'm six," he said, as if needing to convince himself.

We've got a busy day ahead. We just finished his birthday breakfast of choice: cinnamon rolls, sausage links and hashbrowns. Next up will be the party, and later tonight we'll let him pick where he wants to eat supper. The last-minute hockey tournament that was announced late Thursday night was cancelled just as suddenly late yesterday afternoon. So at least we don't have to work around that.

Hugging him this morning, his head now reaching me mid-chest, it doesn't even seem real that six years ago this morning I was holding my 8 lb-13 oz infant for the first time. He's grown into such an amazing boy and I couldn't be prouder of him, or more grateful for his health, his happiness, and the fact that he continues to give me bear hugs while proclaiming, "I love you Mom!"

No comments:

Post a Comment