Thursday, February 10, 2011

When Daddy calls

On the nights Jeff works, he does a good job of calling home to talk at least briefly with the kids and to wish them a good night. The conversations - at least the half I hear - can be pretty entertaining. AJ tends to ask Jeff a lot of questions about how his evening is going, while Sydney usually talks about whatever she's doing at the moment.
When I handed the phone to AJ last night, he became a bit of an interrogator. "Hi Dad, did you catch any bad guys yet? Or are you just sending guys out?" (Pause) "How many guys are you sending out?"

Sydney, on the other hand, could only talk about herself and her exciting news. "I'm wearing a hair band, Daddy. I'm watching Tinkerbell with my princesses. (Pause.) "Mommy made meatballs. And noodles. And I had milk and chocolate milk." (Long pause.)

"Sydney, tell Daddy good night," I prompted.

"Good night, Daddy," she said.

As I took the phone away, and started to say my own good night, Sydney frantically waved me back, "Wait!" she called.

Figuring she wanted to add an "I love you," I handed the phone back to her.

"I'm playing with my princesses, Daddy."

The kids are doing a pretty good job adapting to Jeff's crazy schedule. I let them fall asleep together, and then move them later to their respective beds. It allows them to have someone to snuggle with at bedtime, while giving me a chance to do whatever needs to be done around the house. It may not be the most traditional bedtime routine, but for now, it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment