Friday, February 11, 2011

Be mine - the 2011 version

Valentine's Day came a bit early at AJ's school because the holiday happens to fall in the midst of a four-day weekend. That meant the job of addressing all those little cards for his classmates had to be done in time for a party yesterday.


I was pleasantly surprised watching AJ work on this labor of friendship. Last year, it was a challenge for him to sign "AJ" to his cards. (Okay, the greater challenge was for me to keep him on task to sign "AJ" on each card.) This year, working off a list, he successfully filled in both the "to" and the "from" line.


It was by no means a fast or easy process. We spread the work over two nights. Incidentally, this year, his cards are from Alex, not AJ.


Once the cards were done, it was time to tape on the "Snick Snack" bars. (AJ has some sort of mental block when it comes to remembering the name of his favorite candy bar - Kit Kat.)

Alas, for all his hard work, he came home empty handed. Tragedy! He forgot his bag of Valentines - and more specifically his bag of Valentines candy - on the bus! I left a message at the bus garage and got a call back confirming they found it and will hang on to it for him until next Tuesday. That calmed him a bit. I feel a bit sorry for the bus drivers on days like this. The woman I talked to commented, "You have no idea how many candy wrappers I had to sweep up this afternoon."

Meanwhile, Sydney's Valentines also had to be ready by Thursday. Because of Jeff's schedule, Sydney won't be going back to daycare until after the Valentines party. At least with her class,  we (I) only have to sign her name without addressing each card to a specific child. It simplifies the distribution process.

Her teacher must have already counted out her cards/treats because she came home with one of them. Totally oblivious to the fact that it was a card from herself, she excitedly showed me the heart-shaped sucker that I had taped to it. "Look Mommy! I got a treat!"

Other than that, I guess we get a bit of a reprieve until Tuesday. That's when the real sugar rush will begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment