Sunday, February 6, 2011

The party

I doubt anyone learned anything about any of the presidents at AJ's party. But they sure were happy to wear red, white and blue.

Front row: Evan T., Cooper, Addie, Avery.
Back row: Sydney, AJ, Lily, Owen, Cale, Reese, Hannah

I did hear one of the dads - a teacher - quizzing the kids and asking who their favorite president is. Most of the kids responded with a slightly confused look before eventually answering/asking, "Barack Obama?" It was as if they were asking in return, "Is that the right answer."

Of course AJ had a much stronger response, "George Washington and Ronald Reagan."

"Really. Why Ronald Reagan?"

AJ answered confidentally, "Because they say Ronald Reagan is the greatest president ever."

I'm not sure who the "they" is that AJ's referencing, but there's another reason AJ has found to like the 40th president. We discovered they share a birthday weekend. Ronald Reagan's 100th birthday is today - a day after AJ's 6th birthday.
 
Aside from the off-beat theme, everything else about the party was pretty normal. There was cake:
 
Check out, by the way, the incredible decorating job on AJ's birthday cake. I got it from the Dairy Queen in Canal Park. They have a woman there who is - in a word - incredible. I've ordered numerous ice cream cakes from them, just because I so appreciate her talents. When I ordered the cake I left instructions that said, "Presidential seal, flags or anything else patriotic." I had total confidence that she would come up with something that surpassed all expectations, and she certainly did.

Back to the party details... the kids had a ball playing all the games at Adventure Zone. There was mini-golf and a batting cage.


Plus plenty of arcade games to suck up our money and spit out tickets that can be redeemed for "treasures" I really don't want in the house. (Play money and fake bugs.WhooHoo!)


Of course, gift opening was fun. I love how the kids crowded round and then bunched up tighter and tighter to see what AJ was given. AJ may have been on to something when he selected the presidents theme. Two friends gave him money as a gift. Show me the presidents!


The only part of the party that I would have changed was the party horns. What was I thinking? They seemed so innocent to set out at the table along with the hats, tiaras, flags and leis. Wow! Were they ever loud! And they echoed throughout the large building.

The kids loved the little headache-inducers, and even marched in a mini-parade while waiting for the cake to be cut and served. I noticed when it was time for everyone to depart, that a lot of the other accessories went home with the kids, but I've still got just about as many horns as I started out with. Hmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment