Sunday, May 8, 2011

Backyard gifts

It's the thought that counts.

The line is cliche, but oh so true. Especially when describing gifts given by children.


One look at the dandelions growing in my parents' back yard and Sydney was on a mission. "I'm picking beautiful flowers, Mom. They're for you."

And if some is good, more is better. Once she finished picking a bouquet for me, she gathered a similar arrangement for my Mom. In the hands of a smiling preschooler, dandelions aren't weeds. They're pretty yellow flowers. In fact, to Sydney, they're far better than the carefully cultivated perennials blooming in the garden, because she knows she can pick the dandelions without fear of getting in trouble.

And where was AJ all this time? Discovering other treasures on the shores of Diamond Lake.

"Mom! I found fish poop!"


"That's pretty exciting," I answered. "Are you sure it's not bird poop?"

"Maybe it is," he conceded. "It's probably goose poop."

He seemed slighly disappointed. Apparently goose poop isn't as rare or exciting as fish poop. But at least it was poop. And when you're six, that's always a fun (and funny) topic to discuss.

AJ next found a stick and started swirling it in the water. To his delight, he managed to stir up some sea weed. and lift it with the stick.

"Mom, look! I caught some sea weed for you!"

Dandelions and sea weed. Happy Mothers Day! What a lucky mom I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment