Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Old news

Bear with me today... I'm veering off from my normal topic of my kids to write about an evening filled with old friends. Denny Anderson is retiring this month, and the station hosted a party in his honor. What fun to see so many dear friends after so many years.

Back row L-R: Deb Anderson, Julie Moravchik, Lisa Neitzel, Pam Fish, Colleen Mahoney, Sarah Kemp Front row: me, Dennis Anderson, Sue Sayovitz
I was 23 years old when I started at the station. Moving to Duluth for this job was my first time living on my own. In many ways I grew up with the people in this picture, discovering who I am and who I wanted to be.

They shared in so many of the defining moments of my life: I met Jeff while reporting a story. When he proposed to me live on the air, many of them had been in on the secret, helping set me up for the wonderful surprise. And when Jeff and I got married, it was Denny who officiated the service, with just about every one of these lovely ladies sitting in the church and sharing in our joy. 

Deb... who I heard stories about long before we ever met because, coincidentally, her father and my great uncle were best friends.
Julie... who job shadowed me for a day before later being hired as a fellow reporter, leading to a friendship that's lasted more than 15 years. 
Lisa... how many weekends did we spend in her "Barbie car"? I still think of her each time I hear Alanis Morrisette sing Jagged little pill.
Pam... I learned more from her than she'll ever realize. Pam forced me to be a better reporter, simply because I wanted to make sure I could answer her questions. She also set such a wonderful example of balancing career and motherhood. 
Colleen... I've known her the longest of all... dating back to our senior year at the U of M, going through the broadcast program and putting together the weekly "University Report."
Sarah... We started at the station a week a part, but she wised up faster than the rest of us and has been out of the business the longest.
Denny... How do you sum him up in a few sentences? He's a legend, whether he wants to be or not. More importantly, he is a dear, dear man, and I'm honored to call him a friend.
Sue... Once Denny retires, she'll be the only one in our group left at the station. We didn't like each other at first (jealousy over a guy), but later became good friends and volleyball teammates. Her son and AJ now go to the same school and are a grade a part. It amazes me how our lives and friendship have evolved.

What an honor to be part of this group, and to be allowed to join in the tributes to Denny. He is channel 10 - not just the face of the news department, but the very heart and soul.

Some people refer to working in small market TV as paying your dues. It's hard work and long hours for very little pay. But I also recall a college professor who told me to savor the time, because it would be the most fun I'd ever have as a reporter. Not that I have larger market experience to compare it to, but I believe she was right. In small market TV, most people are fairly new to the profession and still have an idealistic enthusiasm to - as another professor once taught - comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable. It was an exciting and fun job most of the time, with Denny always there... part dad, part teacher to us all.

I have absolutely no desire to return to the TV news business, but in the same breath let me add, I wouldn't have missed the experience for anything. Enjoy your retirement, Denny!

No comments:

Post a Comment