Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Stop bugging your sister!

It's hard to decide which is more annoying: the tiny (less than a quarter-inch long) black bug that took flight inside our mini-van, or the six-year-old boy who couldn't resist pointing it out to his sister.


Driving home from church Sunday, AJ noticed what looked to me like a very small beetle flying across the interior of our new vehicle.

"Mom, there's a bug in here," he called out.

Looking back, I couldn't see anything so, to keep the peace, I calmly answered, "that happens sometimes."

"Where is it?" Sydney asked.

"I don't know," I answered, adding a well-intentioned lie, "maybe it already flew away."

"No," AJ assured her, "it's over by your window."

That's all Sydney needed to hear. "I don't like bugs," she declared in a clearly panicked voice.

"You're fine," I told her as I at last spotted the bug on the window just behind her head.

"Where is it?" Sydney asked again. By now her voice was almost a whimper.

And then the ultimate horror. The bug took flight and landed (gasp, gasp) on her hand.

Sydney let out a shriek that evolved into a high pitched sob, frantically waving her arms.

"It's on you, Sydney, it's on you," AJ helpfully updated her.

More screams of terror. Sydney continued flailing her arms as she attempted to twist in her tightly-buckled car seat.

"AJ, keep quiet. Sydney, it's okay," I tried to calm her as I unhooked my seat belt to try and climb back to her. By now the bug was nowhere to be seen. It definitely wasn't on her hand anymore, though where it landed I have no idea.

Eventually Sydney's cries calmed again to whimpers. Just in time for AJ to ask in a concerned voice, "Does your skin itch now, Sydney?"

"Enough!" Jeff and I shouted in unison.

AJ definitely knows how to bug his sister. The thing is, I don't think that's his intent. Yet. (I'm sure it will be soon enough.) Hopefully, by then, Sydney will learn not to give him such an easy target

No comments:

Post a Comment