Thursday, May 26, 2011

The dreaded drops

This was supposed to be the easy eye doctor appointment. Just a quick vision test and we'd be on our way. No eye drops needed.


In the past, that's how it's always worked. An appointment every six months. One involves drops, the other doesn't. AJ had to endure drops at the last appointment, so this should have been a quick visit. AJ's sought constant reassurance ever since hearing about the appointment, asking me repeatedly... last night, this morning, on the way into the eye doctor's office... "Do I need to get drops?"

"I don't think so," was my answer each time.

Physician Assistant #1 did a quick vision test. "Do I need to get drops?" was all AJ wanted to know. Correction - that's the question he asked the most. He also wanted to know what the eyeball model on the counter was for, and what happened to the racetrack game that used to decorate the wall, and when did he get to put the bird on the doctor's nose (a trick to get him to sit still and focus his eyes in one direction), and what was the black thing on the counter that looked like a hockey puck, and on and on he chattered.

Incidentally, P.A. #1 told him she didn't think he needed drops since he'd gotten them the last time. She also managed to squeeze in a question to AJ. "Are you having any problems with your eyes?"

I was about to answer no for him, but AJ spoke first, "Just one thing."

That was news to me.

"And what problem is that?" she asked.

Rubbing his eyes as if to demonstrate, AJ answered, "Sometimes I get something in my eyes, and it kind of pokes."

That is a problem all right.

And then the doctor and Physician Assistant #2 arrived. "Do I need to get drops? was the first thing out of AJ's mouth.

"Well, we'll see," the doctor answered. "I don't think so."

But then, as AJ struggled through the vision test it became painfully clear. Yes, he needed drops. His vision has changed significantly enough that he needs a new prescription.

AJ started whimpering, and even my reminders of how brave he'd been the last time didn't calm him. P.A #2 took his cues from me, emphasizing that if he's six now, then surely he must be braver than when he was five. Finally, I spoke the magic words.

"AJ, if you can get through this without crying, we'll get some ice cream afterward."

It wasn't enough to relax him, but he settled down enough for P.A. #2 to successfully go two for two getting the drops in his eyes on the first try.

As proud as I am of AJ, I must admit I'm a bit nervous about our next visit. That's because the patient next time isn't going to be AJ, it'll be Sydney. At her 3-year check-up, and again at her preschool screening, she was disinterested enough in the vision test that neither could conclusively determine if her eyesight is okay. She isn't suffering from lazy eye, which was what first tipped us off that AJ had a problem, but considering the history of bad vision in her gene pool, we figure it's better to be safe than sorry.

And so I made an appointment for her. It'll be next month, a few days after her birthday. AJ, of course, had just one question. "Does Sydney have to get drops?"

Yes, she most likely will. As we departed, the eye doctor's parting words to AJ were a warning. "Don't scare your sister about the drops."

Yeah... this next visit is going to be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment