Saturday, May 28, 2011

Graveside ceremony

There's a tradition in my family that I've managed to avoid most of my adult life. It's the annual trip to the cemetery to clean up around family grave stones. My parents and my sister's family faithfully pay their respects each year, but - quite honestly - I can't remember the last time I joined them.

Lately, however, AJ has been asking a lot about cemeteries, and specifically my uncle who was killed in the Korean War. So this year, we made it a priority to travel down to the cities and take part.



Unfortunately, the weather didn't cooperate with the one brief window of time that seemed to fit every one's schedule. And so we stood and worked in the rain. At least AJ got to see what he'd come for - the headstone of Grandma's brother.


I have to confess much of my willingness to help was motivated not by respect for the dead, but rather to speed up the process so we could get out of the rain. Sydney didn't seem to mind too much. Her jacket somehow disappeared over the course of the day, so she stood in Daddy's oversized coat, which added a certain novelty to the occasion. And there were flowers involved, so what could be more fun?


We got through it, and despite the miserable weather I think it was an important experience for my kids. Though I admit it also reminded me why I'd prefer to be cremated.

1 comment:

  1. Cremation doesn't necessarily mean there won't be a grave site. Remember when we paused by Uncle Woody's gravestone as we were leaving the cemetery? Woody was cremated. Phyllis & Bob still faithfully clean up around that stone and put flowers in the vase. (One year, Phyllis had me buy flowers and take care of everything because they weren't going to be back from Florida on time.

    ReplyDelete