Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Flower finds

Oh, for joy! Finally we have flowers sprouting in our garden. (I can tell right now I will have to make it clear to her that these are the only flowers it's okay to pick to surprise Mommy.)


And once you find one pretty flower, well, you can't stop there. As I continued to clean up after dinner, Sydney ran back outside where AJ and Daddy were playing. A few minutes later she was back, proudly presenting me with another one.

As she headed back out for a third time, I suggested she take a small bowl with her. What a great idea! She happily went out in search of more "beautiful flowers." I suspect the boys were ready to come inside before she was.

But then tragedy struck. Somehow she lost her bowl of flowers. I was in another room, and missed the early part of the drama. She figured she'd left the bowl in the garden. But Jeff told her it was too late to go back outside. Bring on the tears!

Because I'd already decided to write about her flower hunting, and needed pictures, too, we bent the rules. And so Mommy and Sydney headed outside in search of the bowl of flowers.

It wasn't in the garden.

It wasn't on the porch.

It wasn't in the garage. 

Finally in defeat we headed inside. And that's when I happened to look in on the bathroom counter. There they were.

"Hey, Sydney," I called. "Did you by chance come inside to go potty and leave your flowers in here?"

Sydney ran into the bathroom, thrilled to find her missing treasure, happily proclaiming, "I found it!"


I warned her they'd be shriveled by morning and suggested we press them instead. She would have none of that! So I waited until after she went to bed and did it then. Thank goodness for heavy leftover college text books. For some reason (before the age of the Internet) I'd figured the biology and geogography text books would be good resources to keep. At least they've finally come to some good use.

And if Sydney happens to remember the flowers and notice they're missing, at least there will be plenty more to pick from. We just need another sunny day and the pretty weeds will be in full bloom.

No comments:

Post a Comment