Monday, May 16, 2011

Not so smooth sale-ing

I'm pretty sure I vowed last year I'd never again hold a garage sale. They're so much work. And yet here I am again, frantically identifying "treasures" to offer up to others for a tenth of their value, slapping prices on them left and right while trying to figure out sources for tables to display them and signs to direct bargain hunters our way.

Complicating it all: two children who have drastically different views of what the garage sale represents.  


AJ is seeing only dollar signs and would sell everything in his room if we let him. He wants a $20 bill to put in his wallet and will do whatever it takes to earn one. What he doesn't understand is that an item is only worth as much as someone else is willing to pay for it. If you zoom in on the picture above, you'll see a $3 price tag he stuck on a Happy Meal toy. Good luck with that, my boy!

Sydney, meanwhile, doesn't want to get rid of anything. Sandals that are too small, toys she's never played with, all are suddenly treasured possessions from which she can't bear to part. Note the stuffed pig she's clutching tightly in the picture. At the risk of offending whoever gave it to us, I will admit, neither of my children have ever paid it even a moment of attention. Until now.

"That's mine, Mommy. Don't sell my pig."

"You've never played with this pig, Sydney."

"Yes I have," she insisted.

"Sydney, it's an ugly pig. And no, you have never played with it," I told her.

"It's my ugly pig. Don't sell it."

The sale is scheduled for Friday. I still have a lot of items to price. I suspect I will be doing the bulk of the work after the kids' bedtime.

It's going to be an interesting week.

No comments:

Post a Comment