Saturday, May 7, 2011

Royal drama

So much for the idea of living Happily Ever After.


Sydney's fairy tale characters are enduring all sorts of trials and tribulations, lost accessories, and even an unexpected bedtime swim.

It started with the Little Mermaid - the bridal version (standing on the left of the photo above.) Sydney took her in the van while we ran some errands, and by the time we got home, the veil was nowhere to be found. How can you possibly be a fairy princess bride without a veil? It's just a tragedy beyond all imagination.

Since Jeff and AJ were outside playing, I sent Sydney to Daddy to ask if he'd unlock the van door and help her look.

No veil.

Oh, the tears!

So the veil you see on Ariel is Mommy's make-do creativity. By the way, if you happen to see Sydney's tulle/lace head wrap from last year's Olde Worlde Fair and notice it's a tad shorter, don't say anything.

Meanwhile, Snow White's Prince (the guy in the purple) is probably wishing he only had to contend with a poisoned apple. Last night, I told Sydney she needed to go potty before bedtime. She whined for help, even though she's perfectly capable of completing the task on her own. (The lights in the bathroom were off, which tends to inspire her helplessness.) I insisted she could go by herself.

Suddenly a blood curdling scream!

I ran into the bathroom where Sydney stood crying as she tried to flush the toilet.

"What happened?" I asked.

Sydney held up the Prince and Snow White. Through her sobs, not to mention dripping evidence at the scene, I figured it out. She'd accidentally dropped her toys in the toilet. By the time I reached her, she'd already fished them out, getting the sleeve of her nightgown wet in the process.

It can be so hard not to laugh sometimes.

I gently pried Snow White and her Prince from Sydney's wet hands and carried them to the sink. I next got her nightgown off, and washed her hands and arms. I sent her to her room to find new pajamas, while I gave a hot, soapy bath to our unlucky hero and heroine.

Sydney returned a few minutes later, already dressed. Daddy had helped her. I handed her the cleaned toys, and that set off a new set of tears.

"Mommy, Snow White is wet!"

"Yes," I told her, "I had to wash her. She'll dry."

"But Snow White didn't fall in the toilet!" She wailed.

Apparently it was only the prince who'd taken the unexpected dip. Jeff, who had followed Sydney into the bathroom to see what was going on, bent his head and buried it in his elbow to muffle the laughs. Not helping!

"Why don't you go put Snow White and the Prince with the rest of your princesses," I suggested. "By the time you wake up, they'll be dry."

Of course, seeing the other princesses reminded her that Ariel was still wearing a make-shift veil, which set off a new round of tears. It's so hard to deal with hardship when you're three and overly tired.

I promised to take a second look in the van in the morning. That, along with the promise of a good-as-new Snow White who'd be waiting when she awoke, was enough to calm her. And at last my little princess went to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment