Saturday, September 3, 2011

Back-to-school writers' cramp

The final days of summer vacation are ticking away. Thursday night was the annual open house at AJ's school. We met his teacher, dropped off his school supplies (some of which I'm pretty sure I forgot to label. His teacher is going to love me!) and remembered why I steered clear of teaching as a profession.

So many kids! So many well-meaning but clueless parents! Do they really think the critically important information they're rattling off within 30 seconds of meeting the teacher will be remembered? I actually overheard a mother tell AJ's teacher that she'd be tweaking her son's medications over the weekend, and so she wanted the teacher to call her Tuesday if there were any problems.

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Happy start to the school year! Maybe sending a note that says the blue water bottle without a name on it belongs to AJ won't seem so bad after all.

Even though I've now been to the classroom, I doubt I could find it again without help. AJ was able to lead us to it. I asked him if he remembered where the first grade classrooms were.

"Um, I think I do. They're kind of by where I threw up on the steps."
Once in the classroom, Jeff helped AJ complete a scavenger hunt, while I filled out a mass of forms and totally forgot to take any pictures.

Next we headed for Sydney's classroom, which we just learned earlier this week would be her classroom. I'd registered her for the school readiness program, but through a lottery system, she'd ended up first on the waiting list. Monday, the teacher called and said they had an opening. (The class doesn't actually begin until October.)

AJ did his quick politician walk-through, greeting and hugging the community ed. staff. He and Jeff then took off for his soccer game (which got cancelled five minutes after it started due to lightening.)

That left me to help Sydney familiarize herself with a room jam-packed with kids, their parents and siblings. Again I was amazed at the patience and enthusiasm of the teachers who warmly greeted child after child, parent after parent.

We found the alphabet rug, Sydney's cubbie, the bathroom, sink, soap and paper towels. Then it was time for a treat. 


Cookies with frosting and pink sprinkles. Yes, Mrs. Tina's class seems like it's going to okay. After that, it was Mommy's turn to wait in line to get the packet of paperwork I'd need to fill out for child #2. Sydney used the time to check out the play kitchen, the dolls, the... oh my goodness - shriek of delight - they have a pink piece of fabric that almost looks like a cape! (The contorted facial expression is really Sydney saying "Cheese!")


Once done in Mrs. Tina's class, we headed next door to Cool Kids. There - oh joy - I got to fill out even more forms. For both kids. I don't understand why, in this age of technology, we can't enter this information online somehow. Absolutely none of our information has changed since last year. At least there was plenty for Sydney to do while I wrote down emergency contact names and phone numbers one more time.


So many of my friends are counting down the days and hours until they can send their kids back to school. I'm really not looking forward to it at all. I like having my kids home with me. I like being in control of our schedule and having the flexibility to let them stay up late so I can spend time with them after work. Here's to another great school year. I can't wait to see what they - and I - will learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment