Tuesday, September 6, 2011

First grade - first day

Here he is: Mr. First Grader. 


Yes, I let him choose his own clothes. I'd like to say he gets his fashion sense from his father, but even Jeff rolled his eyes at the camouflage pants. (Daddy only wears them when he has to.) 

This summer has passed by far too quickly. I think I'm having a harder time sending him off to school this year than last. Now I know just how busy he'll be.

Still there are a few things to be thankful for. The note from his teacher at open house specifically requests no cupcakes on birthdays. Thank you! And I suspect there will be fewer costumes for me to sew.

To mark the end of summer, AJ and I spent some one-on-one time together Friday. Or, as he calls it, we went on a date.


It included some back-to-school clothes shopping, primarily for pants and new shoes, which I purposely waited as long as possible to buy in case of any last minute growth spurts. Yes, in his new shoes, he can run that fast!


We also enjoyed lunch at McDonald's (he's a cheap date) and stopped at the mall to get his glasses straightened. As the optometrist did her work, AJ told her all about our afternoon's activities. With a smile I added, "We're on a date."

The woman laughed and thought it was cute. To which AJ added, "Yeah, it's just one of the crazy things my family does."

***

Update: AJ just got on the bus. He admitted he's excited but a little nervous. He's still willing to let me give him a hug. At the end of the driveway! Clearly the excitement had taken over. He wanted a hug, but it was more important for him to stand watch for the bus, than to run back to the house to get it.

And yes, after I walked away, I cried.

No comments:

Post a Comment