Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Better luck next sapling

For the sake of our region's forests, I really should just give up. The survival rate of pine saplings entrusted to my care is now 0 for 7. The latest victim? A small (n)evergreen I won at the State Fair. Sydney and I planted it together about a week ago. She was so excited! As she helped me dig a hole and water our sprout full of promise, she happily declared, "This is the first tree I've ever planted!"

Alas, like the six poor saps that have gone before it, this one, too, wasn't meant to be. Here's a photo of where it no longer is.


Most likely it fell victim to a rabbit or dear. I've made similar sacrifices the last few springs with everything from pansies to petunias to Gerber daisies. Somehow, I thought a tree would be different. After all,  I've had surprising success with the two pine trees that had a year or two head start before I attained them. Check out what they looked like three years ago, and now just look at them!  


They're growing like weeds! And I don't just mean the weeds... the kids and the trees are doing pretty well, too. The tree in the photo with Sydney reaches nearly to the top of the photo. Meanwhile. in the photo below, it's hard to tell which has grown more: AJ or the tree.


I've never noticed either of these trees damaged or even nibbled on by wildlife, so what is it about the little guy that made him too good to pass up? I think it's time to invest in a good fence.

No comments:

Post a Comment