Monday, September 19, 2011

Bullies beware



Never underestimate the power of a public service announcement.

One recent evening, Sydney was playing with Gus when, as is often the case, the four-legged member of the duo got a little too wild. Sydney's whining/crying was enough to get me involved. I pulled them apart and scolded, "Gus, are you being a bully?"

Sydney, without missing a beat, responded, "We should visit bully dot com."

"What's bully.com?" I asked.

Sydney recited what was no doubt the next copy line in the commercial, "Speak up against bullies."

Of course I had to tell Jeff the story. AJ happened to overhear and quickly corrected/expanded on what Sydney had told me.

"Stopbullyingspeakup.com," AJ said, "Help stop bullying. Speak up. If you know somebody that's bullied, then you can help them."

I checked out the website. It's a project of (and good P-R move by) the Cartoon Network. The whole incident has me wondering if I should say "Wow!" or "Whoa!" I'm hoping that bullying isn't an issue yet for kids their age. Have times changed that much? Or am I letting my kids watch cartoons geared for a slightly older audience.

Hopefully, if ever faced with a real bullying situation, they'll recognize it. Because, assuming they do, they're now aware of how to respond.

No comments:

Post a Comment