Friday, September 9, 2011

Fresh veggie memories

Based on his non-interest in the cows, pigs and other animals at the State Fair, I think we've already established AJ doesn't have much of a future as a livestock farmer. But maybe, just maybe, he could be one heck of a gardener.


And maybe, just maybe, his interest will be enough to motivate me next spring to do what I've been wanting to do for years - plant a vegetable garden of my own.

During a visit to our friends Gregg and Jeralyn (Was it really already two weeks ago?), while the rest of us were still playing in the pool, AJ found it far more interesting to become a one-man harvesting machine. He picked cucumbers, eggplants and beans - lots and lots of green and wax beans - all of which Jeralyn graciously sent home with us. The eggplants inspired us to make eggplant parmesan for the first time ever, and it turned out surprisingly good.


I remember picking beans in the giant garden in my grandparents' backyard. There was a definite thrill in the hunt - just a bit of sibling rivalry - as we tried to find the biggest bean and compared who had picked the most. Of course, the other part of the fun was knowing we'd get to sample our work as soon as we brought our buckets back to the house. We'd sit at the kitchen table with Grandma Grace as she showed us how to snap off the ends. She'd be hard at work, and then Grandpa would casually walk through and swipe one, a grin on his face as he declared, "Oh, that's a good one."  


Fresh vegetables do taste best! I don't recall ever telling my kids that, but they've figured it out on their own. This summer, I've been buying vegetables from my co-worker Kelley. Only about half the carrots ever make it home because the kids love to munch on them during the short drive from daycare. And I have to confess, none of the sugar snap peas have ever seen the inside of my refrigerator. I eat them like candy. Do you suppose that's why they have "sugar" in their name?

In other words, it's time to start planning and plotting. Where could we set up a garden and how could we protect it from the rabbits, deer and any other critters I may be unaware of that wonder through our backyard. We'd also need to figure out an irrigation system. And then the fun part: deciding what we should plant, (and what would be most likely to survive despite my lack of green thumb.)

That ought to keep us busy over the long, cold winter, and give us yet one more reason to look forward to spring.

4 comments:

  1. A short fence should probably do the trick. We never really needed one (the deer and rabbits could feed freely) until the dog started tramping through the garden. As for watering, I mostly let mother nature take her course, with the occasional one person bucket brigade. Peas, beans, pumpkins all grow well close to the lake. You'll have better luck than me with tomatoes, peppers and corn since you get hotter weather than we do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is great to show them at a young age what they can grow with a little hard work. They will have the memories forever as you do. Let me know if you need help planning what to plant and where, I would be happy to help. I take it that this means you won't be signing up for next year...lol. Happy Gardening!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, Kelley, I'm fairly certain I'll still be signing up next year. I don't have that much confidence in my gardening abilities. And I certainly won't be attempting to plant the variety of veggies you do!

    Thanks for your tips, too, Jess!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grandpa Ernie never had any fancy irrigation system for watering the back acre he made into his garden. As I recall, he would set up at ladder and fasten a regular sprinkler to the top of it. (I do think he had some underground pipes from the house way out to the back so he had water back there. Something a plumber can do, hunh?) A long hose and he was all set when his corn, beans, peas, ever-bearing strawberries, June bearing strawberries, etc. needed some water.
    One other thing....If you do plant string beans, remember the leaves need to be dry from the overnight dew before you pick the beans each morning. It used to frustrate me that I couldn't go play until the beans were picked. :>) And the snap peas? We didn't have them too often because we kids would eat them before they got to the house. Sound familiar? :>)

    ReplyDelete