Saturday, September 10, 2011

Princess art

Suddenly, she has a specialty.

For months, Sydney has resisted drawing anything freehand, and has even whined for help with coloring books because she "can only scribble." But now, she has at last found the confidence to spread her artistic wings and draw. Princesses, of course. Sometimes princesses and queens, but always at least one noseless figure in a dress. Arms, it seems, are optional. There's the black sophisticate:
 

And the vision in pink. (The below picture is of Rapunzel, for those of you who don't recognize the long pink hair.): 


There's the googly-eye version in purple:


And the queen/princess combo, surrounded by a rainbow:


She never draws male figures. It's too hard to draw legs, she told me. Below is my favorite. It's a portrait of Sydney and me. I'm the queen mom and she's the princess.


All of these pictures she expects to see hanging on my office wall the next time she visits. As she completes each masterpiece, she proudly presents it to me and announces I can take it to my work. (An option I suggested a few weeks ago after she ran out of space - and magnets - to hang her drawings on the refrigerator.)


And she's very particular. This morning, when her creative juices started flowing, she carefully looked through the container of markers, at last settling on the one above.

"Are you drawing me a purple princess?" I asked.

"It's not purple," she corrected me. "It's violet."

"Oh, thank you for pointing that out."

"And this is Barbie. She has a violet dress. But Rapunzel doesn't know, because she'd be jealous."

Every picture has a story to tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment