Tuesday, December 1, 2009

New heights in decorating

Unlike what it did to the proverbial cat, curiosity didn't kill me. It just took me one story up, to a place of unbelievable dust.

For the fifth year in a row, as I stood on a small step ladder, reaching and struggling to prop fake garland on the ledge that separates our living room from the kitchen, I thought to myself, "There has to be an easier way."

What I tried next, was not an easier way.

I've determined there are certain places in my house where I just don't need to look. Ever again. Where you see me perched is one of those spots. Five years of dust had accumulated up there. That's on top of the nails, wire bits and other construction debris left by the builder.

I've now pounded tiny nails into the sheet rock, which is hidden from view by the trim. In years to come, these nails should enable me to hang my garland from below and blissfully pretend there isn't an ungodly amount of dust piling up over my head.
So I guess that will make this silly idea worthwhile. That, and the expression on AJ's face as he innocently walked into the room and spotted me overhead. "Whoa! How'd you get up there?"
"Why, I flew up here, of course. With my Supermommy wings."

No comments:

Post a Comment