Monday, December 14, 2009

You can dress 'em up, but...

As often as I refer to Sydney as my drama queen, I also owe her credit for the times she delivers to me a much-needed reality check.

She is, after all, a toddler. I can dress her up, I can style her hair into soft little curls. But she is still just a messy little toddler.

Saturday afternoon found us rushing from Christmas program practice at church to the Christmas party at the armory. We stopped home briefly to grab snacks because I knew it'd be a late lunch. And that's when I got the idea to try and curl Sydney's hair.

I sat her on a chair and handed her a blue/green fruit roll-up as a distraction/bribe, while I worked my way around her head with the curling iron. With the last adorable curl complete, I crouched down in front of her to admire what was sure to be a look worthy of a princess.


Toddler that she is, she gave me the biggest grin, completely lined with blue/green goo.

On a related "what was I thinking???" note... take a look at her darling sweater - a garage sale find from last summer. Cute, huh? And dry-clean only. Thankfully it's a dark color, so the chocolate milk she dumped down the front of it won't show when she wears it again next weekend.

1 comment:

  1. Live and learn, Mommie. Like giving her chocolate before taking our family pictures and not checking her out closely before the camera started clicking? (Yeah, I heard about that.) You always MUST learn to think ahead and anticipate with children of any age.

    ReplyDelete