Friday, June 3, 2011

Backyard dining

Winter was cold and long, eventually giving way to a spring that has been cold and long. So when the temperature Wednesday unexpectedly topped 70 degrees, I knew it was time for an impulsive change of dinner plans.

Jeff was working, but with his help by phone, I still managed to light the grill without blowing up myself or the house. With the propane pumping, I had burgers sizzling in no time, adding tropical fruit and a mixed veggie combo to compliment the meal. (And let me add this was the day before the new food plate dietary recommendations were announced.)


I don't think anyone would argue food has better flavor when cooked on a grill instead of broiled in the oven. It also seems that cheeseburgers somehow just taste better in the backyard.


Of course by yesterday the temperature had again dropped and the winds picked up. But for that brief evening we were able to pretend we didn't live on the tundra. Grandma's Marathon is just two weeks away, and if you live up here long enough you realize that summer doesn't really start until that weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment