Monday, June 20, 2011

The birthday girl

The big day finally arrived and it was all she could have hoped for. Sydney is now four, and we marked her birthday the way all good princesses celebrate: with hot dogs and cheeseburgers, with watermelon and peas, for supper, followed by a quick gift opening.

Not that Sydney would have taken her time if we'd let her, but we encouraged her to go quickly so that Jeff and AJ could leave for baseball practice. The plan was Sydney and I to join them later. And we did. Just a bit later than I'd expected because it seemed horribly unfair to let Sydney open her presents and then tell her she'd have to wait to play with them.


Toys, crafts and costumes - all with a princess theme. Sydney was quite excited. I asked her to show me how old she is now. That took a little coordination.

"No, silly, you're not five yet. You need to fold in your thumb. Try again."


"You're getting closer. Can Mommy show you?"


"You've got it!"


"Don't take any more pictures, Mommy." She informed me.


Who could argue with that? With a new castle for her princesses to inhabit, she was far more interested in playing. There was a moment of concern as she looked at the box, which showed only princesses in the various rooms. "Mommy, can Prince Charming go in my castle?" she asked.

"If you say it's okay, he can." I told her.

Apparently that met my little chaperone's approval, because suddenly several suitors were wooing the princesses.

Happy birthday my big girl. Always remember that Mommy and Daddy love you very much!

No comments:

Post a Comment