Friday, June 10, 2011

Don't jump to conclusions

"And that, dear Rapunzel, is why you should always wait until you hear the whole story..."


No, Sydney didn't really say those words to her doll, but that's the lesson I've learned from her on two occasions this week. As tempting as it is when her stories drag on and on, it's important not to try and finish them for her, because the ending could turn out quite different than what you expected.

Sydney came home from daycare with a fat lip a few days ago. She told me she got a hole in it because she got "bumped into a tree" while playing with friends.

"Oh no," I tried to console. "Did your teacher give you ice to put on your lip?"

Sydney then said, "Olivia did it."

"Olivia pushed you into a tree?" I asked. I knew that Sydney and Olivia have had their issues - most likely because they seem to have very similar personalities. I wondered how I'd even mention this to Olivia's mom, who is a friend of mine.

"No, Olivia gave me water so it wouldn't hurt."

Much better ending!

Wednesday, Sydney was telling me about her day and said, "I bite... I bited Ryan."

My eyebrows shot up. "You bit Ryan?"

Sydney continued, "I bited Ryan to come to my house and play."

Much, much better ending!

No comments:

Post a Comment