Thursday, September 6, 2012

First days of school

I sent my baby off to kindergarten this morning. And yeah, maybe I cried a little.
 
It helped that she was excited to go, and that she was riding the bus with her overly protective big brother. But it's one of those key days that force you to recognize how fast time flies and how quickly children grow up.
 
I had another one of those days earlier this week. AJ started second grade on Tuesday. He's not too excited about that. The thrill of finally getting to wear his new Joe Mauer jersey and carrying his new Twins backpack just wasn't enough to overcome his back to school jitters and his dislike of homework.
 

"I wish we could just be born smart, then we wouldn't have to go to school," he told me after his first day.

It's worth noting that Mr. Cool is also now sensitive to me taking his picture. Thank goodness for Facebook, I was able to show him all the other moms who were taking and posting pictures of their kids.

"It's just what moms do," I told him. To be nice, I hid behind the bushes as he got on the bus.

 
And then today it was finally Sydney's turn. (Kindergartners start two days later than the rest of the kids in are district.) Oh boy was she ever excited!

 
She had enough enthusiasm for both her and her brother.

 
And how did day one go for her? She couldn't wait to tell me about it when she got home. "We got to go to music class, and to the gym!"

 
Here's the summary, in her own words:
 

I know the novelty will wear off and her enthusiasm for school will some day diminish. Probably about the time she's too embarrased to have me take her picture when her friends might see. But it sure is fun in the mean time.

No comments:

Post a Comment